March 02, 2010

Growing Seeds (Sabzeh) For Nowruz (Persian New Year)


This year's Persian New Year (Nowruz) falls on March 20th, therefore along with the spring cleaning we need to start growing our own سبزه  "Sabzeh" wheat sprout which symbolizes revival and rebirth. Besides wheat, which is the most common and popular seed to grow, you may also grow barley, lentils and mung beans. Sabzeh is one of the seven items on the haft-seen table that starts with the letter (S).





Below are some simple directions on how to grow sabzeh, as was taught to me by my mother:
  1. Depending on the size of your display dish, take a cup or two of the seeds of your choice.
  2. Rinse under cool water and place in a large enough bowl, cover with cool water, and soak for 2-3 days. Be sure to change the water a couple of times a day.
  3. Drain the seeds and place them in a moist cheesecloth. Place the cheesecloth in a deep dish, this would keep the seeds and the moisture together until the seeds start to germinate. Place the dish on a sunny windowsill.
  4. Keep the seeds moist by sprinkling/spraying water on them when needed.
  5. If the seeds are of good quality and there's ample sunlight, it won't take long for the seeds to sprout.
  6. Remove the cloth and place the newly germinated seeds in the desired dish.
  7. Change the water twice a day and discard the extra water.
  8. You may tie a red ribbon around the grass and place it on your haft seen table!
Happy Spring!




17 comments:

  1. You know what, we grow wheat in preparation for Christmas in Croatia!

    ReplyDelete
  2. tnx that was really helpful!
    this is my second norooz which i am far away from home and didnt knw how to grow sabzeh properly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very helpful info on growing seeds!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had read about a similar ritual in Farida's blog! What a wonderful way to welcome the year/season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maninas, I never knew that, sounds fascinating!
    Anonymous, Thank you and I'm glad you found the information helpful. I wish you a very happy and healthy Persian New Year!
    5 star Foodie, Thank You!
    Soma, There are many countries and cultures that celebrate Nowruz/Spring equinox.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute idea! I didn't know about this tradition. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh wow what a lovely custom, does it symbolize new life?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going to try it for my daughters so they learn about their origins and the culture. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a Canadian of Armenian origin and my family would grow lentil seeds right before New Year for good luck. Never know why but now I know that it's an ancient tradition dating back to the Zoroastrians!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Do you do anything with the sprouts after Nowruz? Do you eat them? Lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On sizdah bedar (the 13th day of Nowruz), it is customary to take the sprouts which symbolically embodies the ailments and misfortunes from your home and throw it out, preferably in a nearby running stream. By disposing of your sabzeh you will rid your home of all the unlucky and inauspicious thoughts, feelings and happenings that have been looming in your home and your life.

      Delete
  11. Hi! Thank you for such a great post. I may have missed it, but I didn't see where it said how far ahead I should start this process in order to have a good sabzi on Nowruz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may start growing your seeds about two weeks before Nowruz. Thank you!

      Delete
  12. Hi, I'd like to ask a question. Do you think it's worth it to set a Haft-Seen table tomorrow (maybe) with lentils that just sprouted today? I volunteer at a refugee center in Greece and I just found out about Nowruz yesterday. I'd really like to take them everything that is needed for the Haft-Seen and let them set up a table... I figured, since they're going to be displayed for another 11 days, the lentils will have time to grow. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mapia, thank you for asking. Yes, it's worth it. It's never too late to set a haft-seen table. Nowruz Mobarak!

      Delete
  13. This is very interesting as I was looking for origins of this tradition associated with Portuguese Christmas in the south of Portugal (was once an Arab territory)! We do the same planting the seeds on Dec 1 (Chick peas) and the other seeds Dec 8

    ReplyDelete
  14. In Romania, people grow wheat for St. Andrew's Day.

    ReplyDelete